Thursday, March 12, 2009

GOULASH


I discovered Goulash when I visited Hungary some years ago. I had heard about it but I had never tasted it. And it was such a discovery for me. I have developed my own Goulash recipe… by now I am sure you will know I am so brave to do this. I just hope Hungarians do not think I am too brave. Let’s cross fingers!
My Goulash is a pressure cooker Goulash. It is fast but delicious.

Ingredients:

1 pound beef chuck
1 small chopped onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
8 black peppercorns, some whole, some split
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 large peeled diced potatoes
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 chopped carrot
½ cup chopped squash
½ chopped green pepper
1 chopped seeded red chilli
1 teaspoon mixed herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary)
4 tablespoons tomato sauce
Some water

First we will cut the beef in cubes. They must not be too large. Then we get all the rest of the ingredients ready. Peel and cut the potatoes, chop the onion, garlic, green pepper, squash, carrot and red chilli. Once you have everything ready, put the oil in the pressure cooker and let it heat a bit. Then season the meat with salt and put it in the cooker. Seal the meat for some minutes stirring the beef. Now you only have to add the rest of the ingredients. Add water so that all the ingredients are covered by it. And then follow the instructions of your cooker. Close the pressure cooker and proceed according to the instructions. Once it is done, open the cooker.What I do now is to remove some liquid and prepare with that a noodle soup in another pan. You just have to add some noodles and let them cook. In this way you will have two dishes, the Goulash noodle soup and the Goulash itself. Maybe it is not too proper for a Goulash but, why not trying? Another option is to prepare some dumplings. For this you will need all the Goulash broth, so you will not be able to make the Goulash noodle soup. You will need one egg, five tablespoons of flour and a bit of salt. Mix this and let it stand for 30 minutes. Then, with the help of a spoon drop the dumplings into the cooker. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes when the dumplings come up to the top. And then, serve it. Close your eyes and imagine being in Hungary on a cold evening enjoying your Goulash.

No comments:

Post a Comment