Sunday, January 17, 2010

MUFFALETTA


Muffaletta, or whatever you want to spell it, as you will find it spelt in many different ways, is a wonderful sandwich. Typical of New Orleans, one of my favourite cities. I still remember my first Muffaletta. I ate it there, in New Orleans, at Central Grocery, the place that is supposed to have made the first Muffaletta. I love New Orleans and its food.

Ingredients:

Muffaletta bread
¼ cup black olives, chopped
¼ cup green olives, chopped
¼ cup roasted chopped red pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon basil
Some freshly ground black pepper
2 slices serrano ham or prosciutto
6 slices salami
2 slices deli chicken breast (or turkey)
2 slices deli ham
Some slices of tomato
Some slices of onion
2 slices or cheddar cheese
Some grated provolone cheese
Some grated mozzarella cheese
Some mayonnaise sauce
Some mustard

These are the ingredients I used this time. Of course, you can put the ones you like. You can use your favourite deli products.
To make my Muffaletta I will start making my olive salad mix. I use a chopper in which I will put the olives, the red pepper, the garlic and the capers. I do not like to chop them too much but, of course, you can do it the way you like. Once this is chopped, I add the olive oil, the vinegar, the lemon juice, the oregano, the thyme, the basil and the black pepper. I do not add salt because the olives and ham and deli products are already salted, but, you know, it is up to you if you want to add some salt. You can also add some chopped anchovies, pepperoncini, etc.
Now, we only have to make our sandwich. We will open our Muffaletta Bread and spread some of the olive mix that we have prepared before. And then we will add the slices of ham, salami and deli meats. Then we will add the tomato, the onion, all the cheese, the mayonnaise sauce and the mustard.
And now, well, I do not have to tell you what is next. Enjoy your Muffaletta!

No comments:

Post a Comment