Sunday, February 22, 2009

JERK CHICKEN



A Jamaican treat. A very popular dish originally from the Caribbean but now an almost everyday American recipe. A symphony of flavour.

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup lime juice
2 cloves of chopped garlic
½ cup chopped onion
1 chopped green onion
1 chopped red chilli
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

First I prepare the chicken. I cut it in small pieces but if you want, you can use bigger pieces. This is what I do. I cut the chicken in small pieces and I prepare the marinade. In a container I put all the ingredients, mix well, cover and let it marinate for some hours in the fridge. I would recommend four hours at least.
Then I cook the chicken in the oven. I put the chicken on a tray along with some of the marinade, directly in the preheated oven to 400ºF for 30 minutes. Check it a couple of times and pour the rest of the marinade when the chicken is almost done.
Of course, if you have the opportunity, you can cook the meat on a grill or barbecue.
You can serve it in many ways. This time I cooked some rice with beans and a little salad. A good idea is to serve the chicken in a warm wheat tortilla along with a salad (lettuce, tomato, onion, dill pickle, green olives and corn). Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment