Monday, May 25, 2009

MEAT LOAF


An American staple. I love meat loaf. It is a very rewarding dish. And it is easy to make. I am sure many of you have your own way of cooking meat loaf. I have my way too. I use a flour wheat tortilla in my meat loaf. I cut it in little pieces and add it to the rest of the ingredients. It is something different. You can do it if you want.

Ingredients:

½ lb ground beef
½ chopped green pepper
½ chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Some oil
Some salt
1 flour wheat tortilla
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
½ cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons tomato sauce or ketchup
1 beaten egg
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cilantro

When I came to America I fell in love with Meat Loaf. It was a simple recipe. You could even do it your way. But it was always good. And I made it mine.
I do not like my meat loaf to be just meat so I add vegetables to make it a bit different. And the tortilla too, of course.
First I sauté the onion and the green pepper. We will add the garlic at the last moment, sauté a bit and remove the pan from the stove. Let it cool for while. Then we will mix the rest of the ingredients but reserving some of the cheese. Mix everything well adding the onion, the green pepper and the garlic as well. I like adding the tomato sauce or the ketchup to the mix. This makes a creamier meat loaf. But if you want, you can pour the tomato over the meat. Or you can do both things. And then the only thing you have to do is to put the meat loaf in a greased tray. You will have a preheated oven to 350ºF and will cook your meat loaf for about 60 minutes. To finish the dish, we will add the rest of the cheese five minutes before turning off the oven. Serve hot and add some tomato sauce or ketchup if you want. And enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment